Update: 05/06/95 10:15 PM

ISDN: The Final Chapter (?)

SUCCESS!!!

At long last, my dedicated ISDN linkup to my Internet service provider is up and running. There were only a few dumb things preventing it from working a couple of days ago. Here's what went wrong:

First of all, I did have the IRQ on the network card set incorrectly. I probably would have changed it sooner, but it was such a hassle taking it out of my NT machine and putting into my DOS machine every time I wanted to change the IRQ that I put it off as long as I could. However, it turns out that I didn't have to go through all that; I could have changed the IRQ setting directly on my NT machine if I had known that I needed to boot the PC from a DOS diskette that had HIMEM.SYS in the CONFIG.SYS file! When I finally changed the card to IRQ 10, it worked just fine.

Well, it almost worked just fine. Did you know that the RJ-45 cable that connects the network card to the router is wired differently from the RJ-45 cable that connects the router to the ISDN jack? You probably did, but I didn't. I was using "straight-through" cables for both. When I replaced the cable that connected the network card to the router with the correct cable, the PC was able to successfully ping the router for the first time.

I still was unable to communicate with my Internet service provider, but it turned out that their router was not set up properly. It wasn't easy tracking them down on a Saturday, but I'm pretty persistent, and I finally got them to fix it early in the evening.

And it worked! I'm on the Net!!

Now, all I have to do is get my webserver software running and load up an FTP server and do about a zillion other things...

...but I think I'll take a day off tomorrow. More next week.

At this point, you're welcome to proceed to the next diary page,
or you can return to the WebFeats Webserver Setup Diary Home Page,
or you can go all the way back to the WebFeats Home Page.


Hank Mishkoff (hank@webfeats.com)
Voice: (972)931-5421
Fax: (972)733-0629